Pages

Monday, July 7, 2014

Monday 7/7/2014

I think the biggest mistake I possibly made this trip is possibly being stupid and under-prepared for the cold of the night. I have 3 pairs of pants and 3 shirts. I left my fleece at Ms Stewart thinking I have over-packed.

Now I am cold and expect to wait till morning for any warm sunlight to heat my body up.

I slept well and had a breakfast of 3 bread rolls. There was jam but I don't eat jam ever so never-mind. Then I wasn't sure about the coffee so I skipped that.

Jasper Took Nadine and I through some ReefDoctor introduction ppt and tour of Ifaty. It is quite a big village I think. Lives are relatively traditional. People wear a mix of modern clothing and traditional cloth wrap dresses for women. Women also wear this yellow red paste on their faces which our guide explained to be a sort of suncream/moisturiser. They are very nice and friendly people who always smile and greeted Salama! The village has a school, built with help from Reefdoctor. The children get primary education here. Last night though, the playground became a cinema wih loud music. We walked by Jose and a few shops.

Around lunch time,  just like in Saigon,Vietnam, it became too hot to do anything. People had lunch and then sat around the volunteer  area to nap and sunbath. I tried to start noting down all the different type of corals. I want to try and learn all this stuff.

At 3pm, Rina took us through our first class of Malagasy. Very interesting and I am picking it up quite quickly. Rina is awesome! She is crazy, fun and so friendly.



Afterwards, Katie quickly tested me on the scuba review and we have dinner.  It was a nice ratatouille vegetable despite how the other people dislike it. The only thing is, it was a small amount of vegetables but lots of noodles. Well, the meals for me so far have been rather tasty. I am used to eating rice anyway.

I met 2 local guys Jivan and Liva, they both came from University of Tulear and has been working for 3 months at ReefDoctor. We tried our best to communicate in English and I really like them.

Everybody, the interns and volunteers then all walked to Jose to have some beers and local food. Weirdly enough, the street food taste like Viet street food. I am still adjusting to the convo people are having because I am not so sure yet. Not my culture and all. I am catching up I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where life has taken me